Windows RT Surface – Review (Ooh No)
I have had my paws on the Microsoft Windows Surface tablet and I thought I would share my thoughts of this piece of … technology. If you want to know what I am talking about then have a look here Windows Surface RT
- Er… The box, I liked the box.
- The Stand – The Surface comes with a “Stand” which does hold it up… at an angle I have to crouch to use and guess what, its not adjustable! The other thing about the stand is that it has a desk scratching edge, not good.
- The Size – I actually found the size to be very awkward, now it may be that I am too used to iPads however a friend of mine also thought the same.
- Operating System – The little fella comes loaded with Windows RT, which I did not like. The main reasons being that you cannot install any of your own software, it all has to come from the Windows Store. Hmm I wonder who else has this business model, where everything comes from an “App Store”, I’m sure it will come to me…
- Mail App - The Mail App was just awful, it didn’t even know what a file of type “Email” was….!? But why would an email app need to know that…?! In addition, if you like to organise your emails in Folders and Sub-Folders, you cannot collapse them… I think I am close to collapse!
In addition to all of this, it seems like some manufactures of other Windows RT based devices are giving up on the RT family, as mentioned here Wall Street Journal
In summary then, better luck next time. Although maybe Microsoft should leave it to the professionals in the tablet market… Apple. This is a clip of how the Surface performed in one of its maiden presentations: